Set up the Alexa integration for Digital Assistant
You can use Digital Assistant from your Amazon Alexa devices. All that is needed is a one-time set up between your custom Alexa skill and Digital Assistant. Follow the steps below to get started:
Go to https://developer.amazon.com/alexa/console/ask and click on Create Skill.
Then follow the below steps:
Enter a name for your skill, for example "My Company's Assistant"
Select the Custom model
Click Create Skill
You should now see the Skill's build overview page.
From the Build screen we now want to configure the Model of our new skill.
Click on JSON Editor in the bottom left-hand corner
Download our JSON definition file and upload it here
In line number 4 you may optionally update the invocation name of your skill, i.e. if you leave it as
digital assistantusers would say "Alexa, ask Digital Assistant to..."
Invocation names must be all lowercase
Click on Save Model
Next up we have to configure Interfaces.
- Click on Interfaces
- Enable the toggle for Display Interface
- Click on Save Interfaces
Now we want to set up the endpoint with Digital Assistant.
- Click on Endpoint
- Select HTTPS
- Under Default Region enter
- Select the type of your HTTPS certificate, in most cases it would be My development endpoint is a sub-domain of a domain that has a wildcard certificate from a certificate authority
- Click Save Endpoints
Now we need to link the Alexa skill's account to an account in Digital Assistant. Follow the below setup.
- Click Account Linking
- Enable the toggle
- Set Authorization Type to Auth Code Grant
- In a new browser window we need to create a new API Client in Digital Assistant. Go to
- Enter a technical Name
- Enter a long-tail Title
- Copy the Client Id from Digital Assistant (red) to Alexa (green)
- Copy the Client Secret from Digital Assistant (red) to Alexa (green)
- Copy Authorization endpoint from Digital Assistant (red) to Alexa (green)
- Copy Token endpoint from Digital Assistant (red) to Alexa (green)
- Copy Redirect URLs from Alexa (red) to Digital Assistant under Return URLs (green)
- Save in Digital Assistant
- Save in Alexa
Back on the Skill's build overview page, click on Build Model in the Skill builder checklist.
Alexa Skills can be tested from the Test tab in the Skills Builder, but before the Simulator works we need to configure one more setting in Digital Assistant.
- Go to
- Enable Admin Simulator mode
- Click the checkmark to save
Now you can test your Skill in the Amazon Alexa Skill console.
- Click on Test
- Enable the toggle
- Enter a test utterance
You can find information on how to lanch your skill from the Amazon website.